Green office management is simple and easy. You can bear in mind the basic principle -
"4-R Principle" : Reduce, Reuse, Replace and Recycle.
- disseminate information by electronic means (i.e. via email or e-bulletin boards) as far as possible.
- set duplex printing as the default mode for most network printers.
- produce electronic greeting cards for staff use.
- order recycled paper for office photocopying.
- use e-fax to screen junk fax.
- use environmentally friendly plain paper fax machines.
- place boxes and trays beside photocopiers as containers to collect single-sided paper for reuse and used paper for recycling.
- encourage the staff to use paper on both sides, reuse envelopes and loose minute jackets, and use the backside of letter pads with outdated letterhead for drafting or printing.
- use energy-saving light bulbs.
- set the office temperature at 25.5°C in summer and fix thermometers at various office locations to regularly cross check the temperature setting.
- switch off the lights and air-conditioning when not in use.
- ensure that computers are switched off before the end of a working day.
- make good use of the energy-saving features and options which come with the Operating System of the computers.
- switch off all electrical appliances or, where appropriate, switch them to the energy-saving mode when not in use.
- encourage the use of staircase instead of taking the lift for inter-floor traffic.
- use energy efficient electronic equipment as far as possible.
- keep track of the power consumption records and take measures to reduce the increase in power consumption.
- collect fluorescent lamp, printer toner cartridges, rechargeable batteries and CD-ROM discs for recycling.
- set up recycling boxes to collect all recyclables, such as waste paper, metals and plastics.
- buy green stationery such as mechanical pencils, refillable ball pens and recycled pencils.
- buy other green items such as recyclable laser printer toner cartridges and box files made of recycled paper.
- buy office equipment such as photocopiers and printers with Energy Efficiency label.
- buy furniture made of chip board.
Other Useful Tips
- ensure that all staff members observe the No Smoking Policy in all indoor areas.
- carry out carpet cleaning and overhaul cleaning of fan coils at least once a year, preferably twice.
- continuously assess the compliance with the green housekeeping guidelines.
- appoint a "green manager" to assist in implementing and promoting green practices.
- organise training programmes and workshops to enhance the environmental awareness among staff members.
- use 7-day timer switch for electronic equipment and office appliances including water dispensers.
ที่มา - http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/environment/public/green/greenoffice.htm